In case you haven’t heard of this film/book or you’ve lived under a rock for several years this film is the story follows a little boy called Bruno who’s family move house because of the Fathers work in a concentration camp. It then shows the boy developing a bond with a Jew named Schmuel.
Well, having read the book over the summer and thoroughly enjoyed it, I was somewhat sceptical of how it would translate to film and hoping the essence of the story wouldn’t be lost in the process. Within the first few minutes of the film it’s clear they’ve managed to retain that essence, as for want of a better explanation, everything from the locations to the casting just feels ‘right’.
The film does a very good job of staying true to Bruno’s viewpoint, he’s barely ever off the screen and if he is we’re seeing what he’s seeing, to the extent that during a family argument downstairs we do not see the parents, instead we witness Bruno’s reaction the event. This allows for people unaware of the plotline (Sorry if that was you!) to discover what’s going on with this new house as Bruno does, essentially it never slaps you in the face with the facts and goes here’s how it is, to highlight this, here’s an example I thoroughly enjoyed. There are several army trucks driving past in the background, transporting more Jews to the slaughter, however they stay out of focus because at the time they drive past the audience is instead watching Bruno play on his swing. This is an interesting way to explore such a complex storyline, as the audience it quite literally tied to the thoughts of this 8 year old boy who can’t for the life of him work out his curious situation.
There isn’t too much dialogue in this film to be quite fair, certainly not a lot of important dialogue, instead everything important is conveyed through subtle actions or looks at different characters. This is also interesting as it feels as though the Family is keeping something secret from the audience as parents would keep something from a small child, such as the concerned look from the Mother to the Father when Bruno mentions the ‘farmers’ wearing pyjamas. The direction of the film also allows for family truths to be explored without actually being discussed, the perfect example of this being when for the first time in the film Bruno and his father talk alone it’ over a desk, showing their separation and formality towards one another.
The big point of the film for me though was the video of the concentration camps, this is such a pivotal part of the film, however it wasn’t in the book! But personally I find it enhances the story, because you’ve got this boy believing what he’s seeing, in stark contrast to these German officials roaring with laughter about how they’ve managed to produce this believable Bu****it.
Another change from the book was the climax of the story, the films ending is a lot more actiony and intense, while the books ending was understated and simple beauty, I find either of them perfectly fitting but I could see how people would disagree with one of them.
Moving away from fancy techniques, the acting’s good, they’ve nailed the period, the additions to the storyline don’t detract from the book, and it’s enjoyable to boot! I definitely recommend if you’ve got the patience to read the book, but if not then certainly devote an hour and a half or so of your life for this, because it deserves the time.
The best bit: The end. If you don’t feel emotional, you have a heart of stone.
-James

I must say, I do agree however I felt the ending of the film was actually a better ending than that of the book, but this is just a personal opinion. The acting on David Thewlis part, was close to perfect including the final closing moments. This film was the only film to actually have me close to tears, I thought the actual translation from the book to the film, was a superb job :)
ReplyDeleteI was scared of him conveying far too much of Lupin, but I must agree, he's a very versatile actor and I barely noticed traces of Lupin in his acting. I loved the understated simplicity of the ending of the book, but I feel that the action end of the film was perfectly suited also (it didn't ruin the adaptation like so many films before).
ReplyDeleteI must also agree this has to be one of the finest translations from book to film, they kept almost everything in, and what they changed I feel was for the better
Thanks for your comment :) nice to hear others thoughts
-James