The rush of
pre-Christmas games is going to start soon, so before all that hits I thought
that I would go over what I’ve enjoyed or have been impressed the most by so
far.
Strategy game
A close one between Dawn of War 2: Retribution, Total War: Shogun 2 and Men of War: Assault Squad. To be honest, I’m going to have to go with Retribution. I’ve always enjoyed and been impressed by the Total War games, so another brilliant release is nothing special and Men of War is much too difficult for me. I was not, however, a huge fan of Dawn of War 2 when it first released, but they finally fixed it in Retribution. It’s probably the best Dawn of War game they’ve done, simply for the wealth of different and unique races on offer, and the brilliant implementation of the levelling and equipment system, making each squad unique and useful in its own way.
A close one between Dawn of War 2: Retribution, Total War: Shogun 2 and Men of War: Assault Squad. To be honest, I’m going to have to go with Retribution. I’ve always enjoyed and been impressed by the Total War games, so another brilliant release is nothing special and Men of War is much too difficult for me. I was not, however, a huge fan of Dawn of War 2 when it first released, but they finally fixed it in Retribution. It’s probably the best Dawn of War game they’ve done, simply for the wealth of different and unique races on offer, and the brilliant implementation of the levelling and equipment system, making each squad unique and useful in its own way.
Racing game
Dirt 3 wins this by default, being the
only racing game I’ve played that was released this year. To be fair, it is
pretty good. It looks amazing but there are some issues with the cars just not
feeling right. There’s no impact or feel to them, unlike in Dirt 2 and GRID. Also, it crashes like hell on my computer which doesn’t
endear it greatly to me.
Shooter
Brink gets this one. Finally a shooter
that does something new and awesome, and with brilliant support from the
developers making the game even better several days after release, this one’s a
dead cert for the best shooter. It was incredibly brave of Splash Damage to
create something which wasn’t a guaranteed success and which actually improved
upon the standard shooter genre in a way that very few games ever have.
RPG
A lot of
role-playing games have come out this year, that’s something nobody can deny.
Unfortunately, not a lot of them were that good. Deus Ex: Human Revolution just manages to sneak into the time frame
for this article, and so immediately receives the award because it’s bloody
awesome and everyone should immediately buy and play this game. Finally a game
which offers true and pretty much unrestricted freedom. Apart from some
appalling and unappealing boss battles, pretty much the whole game is freeform
and fun.
Action/Adventure
Could it be
anything other than Portal 2 really?
Everyone loves this game. It’s funny, interesting, quirky and just a pleasure
to play. Kudos to Valve for making every game they release incredible or at the
very least fun to play. It’s a shame there aren’t more games with such a strong
marriage of gameplay and story, puzzle, shooter or otherwise.
Sports
NBA 2K11 wins this one. An odd choice,
if you’ve read my review. But in all honesty very few sports games have
actually come out so far, as they’re all released in the next few months (other
than Madden which was released a couple of days ago but isn’t on PC and therefore
is way overpriced.) Anyway, NBA is
actually pretty fun, and I’ve grown to enjoy it to a greater and greater extent
the more that I’ve played it.
Feel free to
discuss how much of an idiot I am for not picking game ‘X’ for genre
‘Whatever’. All criticism is welcome. You’re probably wrong but I’m willing to
argue about it.
No comments:
Post a Comment