I manage to refrain from completely wrecking my country’s unity, for now at least, even though the purge does give a huge bonus to the amount of volunteers for the army. Certainly something to consider for when war inevitably arrives.
My production is steadily rising, as my dissent slowly falls. I tell you, this country is one of the most commercialised I’ve ever seen. I mean, come on guys, you’re meant to be Communist! Just make do with what you have. Nevertheless, the defence of Stalingrad continues on schedule, as does the gradual militarisation of the Eastern Front. Bring it on Japan, in like, two years’ time when I actually have any troops.
I also set my internal spies (don’t judge me) to start cracking down on any foreign spies who might be messing with me. I quickly find a British (typical right?) and a French spy both lurking around my technology, hampering progress. With those two neutralised, I set my spies to raise national unity, which I felt would be pretty critical during the war. Can’t fight a war with no troops and all that.
Taking a look now at the diplomacy screen (picture a triangle (difficult I know) with Allies, Axis and Comintern at each point) I have to admit that Comintern were looking pretty lonely. We had three countries, compared to a huge bunch around the Axis and Allies (not all members, but heavily influenced). Right, time to get some satellite states. In Hearts of Iron you can use diplomacy points (generated from leadership) to influence other nations, and eventually get them to join your party. I started on Communist China (I needed allies in the Pacific) and Denmark, hoping to get a few allies in Europe. Unfortunately, China was already heading too far towards Axis (oddly) so I decided just to give up on them. Denmark, on the other hand, soon started drifting towards my corner.
Over on the politics screen, I was glad to see I could now replace my hated Minister of Security. The new one has the same bonus, but doesn’t increase dissent. Hooray, I thought. This wouldn’t actually increase the rate dissent decreased, but would mean that it wouldn’t rise as quickly if I needed to cut consumer goods (for, I don't know, a war or something).
Italy and Japan join the Axis party, one after the other, and Spain soon descends into civil war. A small icon pops up telling me I can intervene if I want. Nah, I’m good. As said earlier, I want to remain neutral as long as possible, and backing the losing side probably wouldn’t be a great idea.
It’s at this point I realise that my oil economy is crashing, and I have no idea why, but I’m fairly sure that it isn’t a good thing. I do know it’s based on my Industrial Capacity, which at this point is geared towards production, but don’t know what relation they have. Still, a technology shift should probably do the trick. With arctic warfare and basic military stuff finally finished, I start concentrating more on fuel conversion efficiency. Hopefully it’ll be done before my production hits rock bottom. Surely you can’t be negatively efficient? Let’s hope not. It’s at this point I notice the big list along the bottom telling me how good my technologies are, with a little bar next to them. None of them look very full. My infantry value is about 6.8, which must be good right? Considering the amount of technologies I’ve put into it. Right? Wrong. I check Germany’s. 28. Holy Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment