The city was a welcome sight to the weary travellers. As they marched along in the stifling heat, the huge palace tower of the city rose up out of the heated hillside. They approached the gate to the city, whereupon the guard on duty called down to them;
"Halt! Who goes there?"
"Merely tired travellers wishing to make use of your fine city", Greg shouted back.
"I'm afraid not, Captain's orders that nobody's allowed in."
"Ah, perhaps my friend wasn't clear", Erestor added, "we come here on official business of the Patriarch."
The guard looked skeptical but had no reason to believe otherwise.
"I assure you, we are here on his orders." Confirmed Azazel.
"Well, OK then you look like a reasonable sort. Just... don't go causing any unnecessary trouble." He emphasised this final remark with a meaningful glance at the man mountain of Andrew.
The adventurers progressed through the labyrinthine layout of the city, strangely quiet, with very few people present, even in the middle of the day. They soon found the main road which took them to the entrance of the Palace Tower, now an overhanging obelisk looming over their heads.
"Do you have business with the Patriarch?" a nervous guard asked them. At this point it seemed like any answer would satisfy him.
"Correct, can we proceed?"
"Of course, err, sirs, but I must ask you to leave your weaponry out here. Patriarchs orders I'm afraid."
"Of course," replied Greg, "I assume it will be alright to leave them with Andrew and Wrex here?" He asked, pointing at the two largest members of their party. The guard looked scared, "Yes, yes, I have no orders saying we have to take them from you. Please proceed inside."
As the rest of the party climbed the stairs, a guard approached Andrew and Wrex.
"Come with me," he said, "I am in need of your help." They both obliged, not wishing to start a fight, especially in this heat.
Inside the tower, the adventurers were being cooled, presumably by some form of magic, although the occupants would never admit to it. After what seemed like an uncountable amount of stairs, the party finally arrived at the Throne Room.
"There must have been an easier way." Panted Greg. They surveyed the room, having never seen one quite like it. It was a large, open area, with a large balcony running all the way around it, with no walls but a number of pillars holding the roof up.
"Who are you?" Cried the Patriarch, a small, skinny man with an advisor to his right, and what the adventurers assumed to be the Captain of the Guard to his left.
"We are here to offer our... specialised skills to you." Greg replied gracefully.
"Ha!" The Patriarch replied, "What need have I of your skills? Personally I think our protection is assured by our friend here", he gestured towards the Captain.
"Surely you must of heard of the fate of the other cities?" Greg implored.
"Yes, terrible stuff." The Patriarch did not look entirely convinced, "But why should I care? Our security is not an issue, our city is safe from anything."
"I don't think you understand, my lord, they did not attack, but dug underneath. So unless you somehow already know of this?"
"How dare you imply such a thing!" The Patriarch screamed back.
At that very moment the doors behind the travellers burst open, and several guards, with Andrew and Wrex hulking behind them, rushed into the room.
"What, what is this?" Spluttered the Patriarch.
"My lord, you are under arrest." Announced the lead guard.
"Farraster," for that was the Captains name, "what is the meaning of this? Can't you control your men."
"I could do sir," he replied, "And in fact I was the one who sent for them." With this he drew his sword. "As my very brave man here said, you are under arrest for consorting with enemies of the realm and illegal claim of this city." Seeing that he was outnumbered and that his advisor had scampered away, a new resolve came over the Patriarch.
"Very well. Guards, Guards!" He cried. For a moment the guards were confused, but then several of the pillars supporting the room opened, and out stepped several huge Warforged Soldiers, gears and armour clanking.
No comments:
Post a Comment