Saturday, 2 July 2011

Call of Duty Week: Day Six

We’re nearing the end now as we plunge into the extremely glossy and explosion filled depths of Modern Warfare 2. Will dropping the Call of Duty title have an adverse effect on sales? No.

You know, despite myself I actually quite like this game. I know I really shouldn't but it’s just so darned entertaining (for most of it at least). Sure there’s no meaningful plot or characters, but there are a lot of guns.


Positives
  • There really are an awful lot of guns in the game.
  • It looks absolutely beautiful.
  • It doesn’t take itself at all seriously for the most part.
  • The mission after the EMP thing (oh boy, we’ll get to that) is pretty interesting, what with no power. I also like the touch of none of the holographic or laser sights working.
  • The part where you come out of the secret passageway into the battle over the White House is one of my favourite moments in the series.
  • It’s fun. Plain and simple. Mostly at least.
  • I was entertained throughout the whole campaign, I have to say.
  • The co-op special missions are pretty interesting.

Negatives
  • OK, let’s lead with the big one. The plot is absolutely one of the most stupid things I’ve ever heard. BEWARE SPOILERS for the rest of this point. OK, so we’re asked to believe that Russia can mobilise an ENTIRE ARMY, sail across the Atlantic and INVADE AMERICA, and NOBODY NOTICES. The logistics behind simply mobilising the army is insane. It’s literally impossible! Oh, and then there’s a nuke (which ends up being stupid). Not riffing on previous games or anything. Alright, rant over.
  • Turret sequences still aren’t fun.
  • The Favela mission is atrocious.
  • The lack of options for attacking certain places (corridors again) make it a very difficult game at some points.
  • The ‘No Russian’ mission is just silly and stupid and awful.
  • 40 pounds for a PC game? Madness!

So, quite a good game. Perhaps Infinity Ward are quite good at making video games. Shame they mostly left to form what is probably going to be a better company. I would recommend giving this a spin, but it’s still stupidly expensive even now. Get one of the earlier ones and wait for this in a sale or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment