My Heart of Iron is a series in which I, as the Soviet Union, play the game Hearts of Iron III, a large scale World War 2 strategy game. It is currently going very badly indeed.
2 May 1940 - 31 May 1940
Yet more bad news from the front I'm afraid. There are still retreats in every area except in the middle, where I no longer have any troops left to try and retreat with. Literally. Zero.
In the North the defence is not holding up well either, with the Germans able to essentially brush aside any kinds of resistance they encounter. They soon lay siege to Leningrad, and unfortunately I have a feeling that, unlike in real life, Leningrad will not hold out for two and a half years.
The Southern front is just as dire, with my attempts to escape to Sevastapol largely unsuccessful. Somehow I don't think that these guys may will make a legendary stand either.
So in summary; the fighting in the West is going absolutely dreadfully, and even my reinforcements from the South are looking likely to be eliminated by the Germans in short order.
The East, however, is a much more balanced picture. In the region of the coastal city of Vladivostok (on the far Western side) I have the upper hand through my extremely capable armoured divisions, which wreak havoc with the Japanese and Chinese in the area. Unfortunately my opposition has the numbers advantage, and the situation looks like it could deteriorate back to how it started, despite the gains I've made.
The rest of the Western fighting is looking decidedly less favourable for me, as the sheer number of enemy troops is able to overwhelm my weak and disorganised divisions. I do have some special forces divisions arriving, but I fear they may number too few to make a meaningful impact.
So, as we head into June, I have a few hopes for the future. Pretty soon the Germans will arrive at the Finnish border. The Fins will hopefully have a go at them, giving me a bit more time to organise some kind of defence. The fighting in the West could go either way, and I'm fairly sure I should be able to hold Vladivostok at the very least, which is the only area of import along that front. Production should start picking up soon as well, with a few infantry divisions arriving later in the month. That is, of course, if the huge resource problems (which you might have noticed in the upper left) have at least slightly dissipated by that point.
A demo for Hearts of Iron III can be found at http://www.heartsofirongame.com/





No comments:
Post a Comment