Thursday, 17 January 2013

My Heart of Iron: Part 10

My Heart of Iron is a series of posts chronicling my experiences as the Soviet Union in World War 2 grand strategy game Hearts of Iron 3. Currently, it is not going well.

Collection: http://mouseclicksandmovingpics.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/my-heart-of-iron-collection.html


31 March 1940 - 2 May 1940

This is just getting worse and worse if I'm honest with you. About half way through the month I realise that my new defensive line on the South Western front is never going to hold, and make a break for the peninsula and Sevastapol. Unfortunately, as established in the last entry, the Germans are much, much faster than my guys, and the organised retreat basically turns into a full on rout.




Over the next 6 or 7 days that screen only looked worse.

In the north I was still getting completely obliterated as soon as a German unit so much as looked in my direction, and my attempt at organising a buffer between the Germans and Leningrad proved pitiful.


To cap it all off, towards the end of the month the Germans attack Moscow and succeed in capturing it. Oops.


Not exactly the last-ditch attempt to defend the capital that I was hoping for. At around the same time I commit some divisions from the central-southern region to move in a counter-attack towards the Germans, which will hopefully result in a couple of victories and delays at the very least. At the end of June I'll get a bunch of new divisions forming, which I hope to be able to use to, at the very least, plug the absolutely enormous gap in the middle of the Western Front.


Still there is some good news. On the Eastern Front I manage to secure a few victories against the Japanese and their allies, relieving the pressure on Vladivostok.


Unfortunately in the North I'm losing a lot of guys to the overwhelming enemy forces, and don't have enough time or space to reorganise any of them. I could be looking to lose 30,000 troops to the Japanese pretty soon, if I can't find some way to stop them.

So, in conclusion, an absolute disaster of a month. I did manage to move all of my industry to Siberia, so at least I can continue production at full speed, and I have a few research advances coming up soon which may help a little.


A demo for Hearts of Iron III can be found at http://www.heartsofirongame.com/

The full version is available for £8 on Steam

No comments:

Post a Comment