Monday, 10 February 2014

From the Editor - A New Era

I love video games. I play games every day, read about them every day, listen to podcasts about them. Now I want to make a blog about them that I can be proud of, and that other people who love video games will enjoy reading.

The blog's been running for a few years now, and I've been the editor since late 2012. We've grown lazy over the past few months, however, and we want to do better. There's still plenty of great content to go back and read, and I encourage you to do so, but it's time to evolve. We want to bring you more content, of a consistently high quality, from a wider range of writers.


I'll contribute sometimes, but for the most part I'll be serving as the editor. The real hard work - the writing - will be done by other people. A small circle of friends have agreed to write articles for us, and we'll be reliant on them while we're getting off the ground. As we grow I'd like to invite more and more people from the internet to write for us. We won't be able to offer payment for a while, but your article will go up on a site which (I hope) you'll be proud to be part of.

So what can you expect from us?

We all have real-world concerns - studies, jobs, and so on - but we'll ensure that a minimum of two new pieces of content are put up each week, preferably three or four. We've already lined up two fortnightly features, which will run on alternate weeks: 'What We've Been Playing' and 'Webb's Esports Corner' (primarily focused on Starcraft II).

We can't be the site that promises to bring you reviews of all the latest games - we simply don't have the disposable income. With the rise of Steam sales and second-hand games, however, this becomes less relevant by the year. Plenty of people avoid paying full-price for a game on the day it's released, instead choosing to wait until it's discounted. For the most part the games we review will be available to you at an affordable price, should we inspire you to go out and get them.

As well as reviews of (relatively) modern games, we'll also have articles on older games and series which our writers love, mod news and reviews, film reviews, and eventually longer features on the current state of video games, and our predictions for the future.

Admittedly we're not the most attractive video games website in the world, but for now we are limited to free blogs. In the future, if we succeed in this phase of MCMP, we'd love to get a real website. At this stage, however, our priority is quality content.

Finally, a note on the title. Let's get this out of the way right now - it won't always be relevant. At some point we will be doing features on other things we're passionate about - board games, music, and maybe more. But we like the title, and, for the foreseeable future at least, we're sticking with it!

So please, if you like the site then do keep reading it. Follow us on Twitter, tell your friends, and if you ever fancy writing something for us yourself don't hesitate to get in touch. We're serious about this project, we want it to succeed, and for this we're utterly reliant on you, the reader.

Joe Halliday, Editor

No comments:

Post a Comment