Thomas Was Alone is an interesting game, that much I'll give it. At a basic level you control a number of quadrilaterals of varying shapes and sizes, and guide them through increasingly complex puzzle rooms, in an endless quest to go up and to the right. The titular Thomas is your starting character, a small red rectangle, but soon you'll have a whole team of different 'people', each of whom have different abilities. Early on these abilities include the obvious - jumping higher or fitting through small gaps - but later characters, James especially, completely change the way the game plays.
The fact that I can still name close to every character in the game is testament to the strong writing and personification of the little shapes you maneuver around the levels. On the whole the writing and narration is brilliantly done. It creates an interesting, in-depth story, and manages to construct surprisingly large amounts of character out of simple shapes. The music is also excellent, and manages to avoid the classic bit-music that so many platformers rely on to provide a backing track.
For the most part the puzzles are straightforward and enjoyable to complete, but there are a few slip-ups. Several levels had me close to rage-quitting on multiple occasions, mainly due to their being too finicky for the slightly weightless control scheme. Another problem which I encountered when playing was that the game would sometimes not register key presses to change characters, which often led to frustration when I accidentally led a character to a watery grave.
Clocking in at about two or three hours, Thomas Was Alone is an enjoyable, if occasionally aggravating, little platformer, featuring strong narrative and music which lends this simple game an interesting spin. I would recommend this game for anyone who possesses a degree of patience, and enjoys a good story which is well told.


No comments:
Post a Comment