Sunday, 24 February 2013

My Thoughts On: Flight

I didn't really know what to expect going into Flight. I hadn't seen many trailers for it, all I knew was that it was about planes and had Denzel Washington in it. On the surface it's a movie about a plane crashing and the subsequent investigation of the crash, and of the pilot in charge. But at its core it's much more than that.

The opening sequence of the crash itself is one of the most intense pieces of cinema I've ever seen (or at least that i can recollect). I don't know if it was particularly accurate but I was engrossed and it really did evoke some actual fear for the characters from me. The build up of tension is done really well as it's never thrown in your face that something is wrong, but that feeling is left there right up until things start to go wrong. 


In the movies I've seen that starred Denzel I've never made particular note of his acting abilities. I knew he was a good actor, of course, it just never stood out to me as much as it did in this film. One particular moment comes about halfway through, when another character walks into a barn to find him fixing a plane. From the moment you see him, you can tell the character is on something. It's not an effect that is easy to pull off by any means but he managed it well. He portrayed a troubled character with a lot of authenticity.

The supporting cast were just as good. They each played their roles well, living up to what you'd expect to see their character represent. The long time friend, Bruce Greenwood; the love interest, Kelly Reilly; the lawyer, Don Cheadle; and his dealer, John Goodman. You'd think having so many stars in the movie might detract from the experience, but they all hold their own well.

It is a long movie, but it explores some interesting issues and draws you in as a viewer. Part of you really feels for him, the fact that he pulled off what no other pilot could manage to do. Then another part of you recognises that the way he behaved was entirely wrong. This is a movie that does make you think a little bit.

There is a weird Christian motif throughout the movie. It's not entirely clear what the film-makers are trying to support. Are they pro-religion, or anti? Overall, it felt unnecessary. While not being in your face for the entire movie, it is still significant enough that casual viewers will notice, and on that merit I feel they should have been more clear with what they were trying to portray.

Endings are hard to do. It does keep you guessing to some extent as the main character attempts to make up his mind, and you're not really sure what the character will decide he's going to do. The given ending was very certain and concrete. We know exactly what happens to the character and what decision he made in the end. For some movies I feel an ambiguous ending, where it is left up to the interpretation of the viewer, is better. I think Flight would be one of those movies.

Important issues are explored here. Things that can affect anyone. Addiction, broken homes, denial. It doesn't simply put the issues out there immediately. They're slowly introduced one at a time, and we can see how that affects the character. Not just himself, but those around him and closest to him. The film does very well in that regard.

Overall I'd recommend Flight to be seen. It's a fairly powerful movie that does make you think in a little more depth than some of the other "popcorn-seller" flicks. The issues explored are very real and done in an interesting way. However, if you're just looking for a movie full of action and cool stunts, I'd give it a miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment