Thursday, 13 September 2012

Making a Map for Red Orchestra 2: Part 6


What this is about and the previous part.

So since last I posted on my map, much has changed. I finally found how to increase performance, so the map doesn't get booted into single frames every time I turn around. However, I thought that the map itself may be the issue really, in that it was just too unwieldy. Even up to that point, after a few months work, I was only up to about halfway across the map. So I did the only sensible option and moved the peak of the hill about 200 meters closer to the start. Easy peasy, and without looking much different (maybe a bit less impressive) the map should play much faster and more smoothly. Also the file size dropped by about 20 MB  to below the 100 MB mark so hooray.




It wasn't even particularly difficult, as I essentially just had to pick a new height for my peak (around 6000 UU this time, or 120 Metres above the floor, and then just repeat the process from the first time I created a hill. It's slightly steeper this time, although that isn't exactly intentional, it's just that the fact that I wasn't going from zero upwards, and instead from 9000 downwards kind of messed with my head a bit. Still, it's done, and with it I'm about 50% closer to actually finishing this damn thing.


Other progress is just boring old trench creation, this time on the other side of the road, as it might get a little crowded with 64 players all fighting over just that one set of trenches.


And that's about it for this week, hopefully by next week most of this set of trenches will be done, and I can start work on the final approach to the summit, before getting onto the deathly dull process of putting cover points on every single feasible piece of cover on the entire map. Fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment