Part 3 and what this is about.
Alright so to bring you up to speed, I've done the basic terrain layout, and I've made the first capture point; the park. I didn't really have much of a plan following this, so I thought it'd be best to just work up the map towards the peak, filling stuff in as I go. First things first, though, I thought I'd add some trenches and craters to the park, to make it a bit more interesting.
Trenches are a bit of a nightmare to put together. The editor comes with some pre-made trenches to use, and then align exactly right. The trickiest part is getting it so that the earth around the trenches looks realistic, and that it isn't popping up through the floor. This isn't too bad on flat ground but then I thought it would be cool to have a trench coming down from the church. About an hour later:
Not exactly the most impressive thing in the world, but it looks OK and kind of fits in with the whole defending the church thing. To further enhance this image, I thought it'd be good to add some barricades to the inside, and I'm pretty pleased with the finished product:
I actually quite like that to be honest. This and the park I reckon actually give the feel that I was going for, that the defenders just grabbed whatever they could before the onslaught began, probably with a lack of resources. I also wanted to imply a bit of a battle had already happened in this place, and what better way to do that then to add a bunch of burned out tanks to the map:
So that's quite cool I think. Then I spent about two hours trying to do something with the middle of the map, before failing horrifically and ending up just deleting everyone. At the moment, all I have is this, which I really want to keep 'cos it'll be cool in the middle of a battle to jump across I think:
The only problem is trying to make something around it. I was thinking a factory, but I don't know if that'd make the map a bit scattered in terms of theme. Maybe just a small factory, or a farm complex or something, which would give a bit of a backstory to the town itself. We'll see I guess.
Next time: What I do with that bit of map probably.







No comments:
Post a Comment