Tuesday, 10 January 2012

First Impressions: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter


I’m going to confess straight away that I’m a pretty big fan of the Tom Clancy shooters. At least, the ones I’ve played. In fact, I’ve played GRAW 2 on the consoles before. Let me tell you now, the PC version is not at all like the console version.

Click for larger

The console version always felt like an arcade game more than anything. Yes it was fun and had a slight tinge of realism around it, but it never seemed to be trying to be anything more than a faintly dumb shooter. That’s no bad thing, and the co-op was especially enjoyable. It’s just that GRAW 2 on PC feels like it wants to be a game that people remember, and have experiences with.




And so far it’s doing a pretty decent job of it. It isn’t anything spectacular, and the AI seems to lack any particular smarts, but it’s fun and requires a little bit of thought. I also feel like the idea of being an ‘Advanced’ soldier comes across a lot better in this version. The interface does a really good job of pretending to be whatever that monocle thing is, and the overhead view is actually occasionally useful.

It's also a surprisingly open game. I seem to remember (possibly incorrectly) that the console version was pretty much linear. Up to this point on PC, the set up seems to be a large level with a few objectives you have to run around to. It's a refreshing look at how shooters could have (and probably should have) evolved.

So far the squad commands haven’t been a huge help, as it’s often easier to just have your guys follow you around. However, I can imagine that later on, when I’m more comfortable with the system, it could be a useful and cool feature.

I’ve certainly not played enough for a proper judgement yet, but so far it’s looking strong as a fun game which straddles the middle-ground between accessibility and realism.

No comments:

Post a Comment